Monday, July 11, 2016

Alone Time

It’s been more than a week since “We”, (my twin brother and I) celebrated our 23rd Birthday last 30th of June. It was really crazy to think that we’ve level up again our age and a miracle at the same time that God gave another year and step to get better being a person and chasing the dreams we’ve wanted to.

This day was indeed a very special day for me not only it is “Our” day but also because it was the best birthday I celebrated it. Aside from remembering the previous birthdays I had in highschool and inside the seminary, with some presents to receive and lots of greetings to enjoy, I told myself that I will make something best out of this day.

Want to know how I made it possible? Well, better get started...

I woke up early since I barely had a good sleep last night. Maybe, that’s the real play when your birthday is coming by tomorrow, try not to sleep too much to accomplish something. I took a bath to wash the sleep from my face.

I prepared myself in going to the church to thank God in giving me this day a shot. 

I wore my favourite Red Baleno Polo Shirt. Since I don’t have extra money for this day, I just bring enough for transportation. I planned to attend mass in the San Sebastian Cathedral so I left the boarding house as early as 04:45 in the morning and travel via jeepney. It’s a 10-minute travel from Adelina to Cathedral and given that the driver’s route will not pass the cathedral, I decided to walk the remaining boulevard. 

The street was still clear from the sea of people and vehicles who would want to arrive in their destinations.

The San Sebastian Cathedral at last! Wait. When was the last time I’ve been here? Anyway, what I’m certain of is that it’s been a long time.I chose to enter the Door of Mercy at the left side of the cathedral. 

MISERICORDES SICUT PATER, “Merciful like the Father”. Wow! A very nice food for thought.

There is an on-going mass when I arrived. It’s already 05:30 am. I attended the remaining parts of it. When it was already finished, 

I remain seated for some time and started praying the rosary until the priest-in-charge arrives for the confession at 6 o’clock.

Some minutes later, the priest arrived. There are other people also who are like me, waiting for the confession. So, I knelt down and say a prayer before confessing. When its my turn already, I approached the confession box and started receiving God’s forgiveness. I don’t know how to describe the feelings I had after the confession. I felt renewed and relieved. I was as good as new.  I finished my rosary and then got my breviary out of my bag and prayed it too while the others prayed their daily Liturgy of the Hours in Filipino.

It’s the feast of the First Martyrs of Rome. It reminded me to do the same witnessing they did and sacrificed for the Faith.


I attended the mass presided by Fr. Cecil Arce. Receiving the Eucharist worthily is the best gift I ever received on my Birthday- a special gift from God.

I also prayed the prayer for the pope’s intention to acquire the Plenary Indulgence for this Year of Mercy and offered it to the poor souls in the purgatory since they needed it most and for the entire priest in the world especially those who were dear to me-my parish priest especially.

I also visited the Adoration Chapel to personally thank God for what I had today.

Next, I took my steps going to the Carmel Monastery to continue Recollecting.

(Outside face of the Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church Lipa)
(Inside the Church of Carmel facing the Altar)
There are only few who are visiting the church when I came inside.









(The Altar of the Carmel Monastery)















(Another Shot of the Church's Altar)








Again, I knelt down and incessantly thanking God for this wonderful day and a perfect time to be alone for some time and contemplate for the things that I have and forget regretting the things that I usually don’t have. 


I went on the right corner of the church where the image of the Our Lady Mediatrix of All Grace was placed and from time to time devotees are arriving from different places just to gaze our Mother’s face and eventually asked for her intercession to the Father for our prayers and petitions.

There is this thing that amazed me when I went out of the church to visit the apparition site. I saw droplets of water caused from the mist of the previous rain yesterday. Little as it is, I appreciate the simplicity of this life. I just saw myself smiling and taking a souvenir photo from my digicam.

The rain is not bad after all. God will always bring something good from it. A storm may come but God has always prepared something that will finally make us smile and the only thing we can utter is, “ahh! That’s why...” And this is what I’m witnessing right now. Yes Lord. “That is why!”

I was able to pass also the Blessed Sacrament Chapel of the Carmel and a voice in my heart asked me to spend a little more time inside. I did not even hesitate to come. I really love the solitude inside. His presence is really amazing. It’s like seeing a long-time-no-see friend and your meeting Him now, although I believed that He is always with me; with us.


An hour or two was well spent inside- Sharing to God all my imperfections, flaws, the previous storms that recently passed, my aspirations and desires and even my deepest hurts. But you know what? I saw myself getting my journal inside my backpack and wrote these words:

---------------------------------------------

Today, I have forgiven all those who have hurt me and afflict me. For the love of Jesus, I am willing to share my love for them.
------------------------------------------------------- 

He told me to let go of this thought- this are not making me stronger. Angst will just make me weak and being sober with it will definitely kill me inside. I opened my heart for forgiveness and told myself, “Kaya ko palang magpatawad sa tulong ng Diyos!”  I was crying then; but not for resentment or whatever. It was because of the leap of joy in my heart learning the best lesson in life: to let go and let God.

After that, I went to the apparition site of the monastery upstairs that is intended for public.





I’ve been here for a dozen of times and was even able to get near the vine where the Mother Mary was said to have appeared to Sis. Teresing Csstillo. But this one, I definitely enjoy the ambiance. I imagined the scenario of a son to her mother- hugging her and telling her that I love her and that I know she love me more than I do.


The little-as-it-is-thing does not end in the droplets of water a while ago. I found something that really caught my attention. I saw a tiny beetle on the floor who’s trying to fly I guess. 

It gives me the shivers to see that there are things that we can’t appreciate unless we stay close to it. There’s a beauty even in small things for God created it all. I took my cam for the second time and try to catch a glimpse of it.



I say a little prayer to Our Lady for my family and friends. Then, I left the Carmel Monastery.
(A Selfie before leaving Carmel)
I then passed through the Marian Exhibit place along the street of the Carmel monastery. I pondered some moments in the place. Mama Mary is watching me even after leaving her place. The only words that I can say that time were, “I love you Mama Mary”.
They say that when you learn how to love, you can be as crazy as everyone else does. Well, let it be then if it is for God. No more, no less.

I know that I’m already starving that time which my stomach can contest to that. It’s 10 o’clock in the morning.

I barely have these coins for my transpo so that means I need to get home now. But I mind to visit the Redemptorist Church since jeepneys going home are parking near it too.

(Redemptorist' Door of Mercy)

Prayers were being offered after I entered the Holy Door of Mercy of the church. I left the church thereafter.


Honestly, this day was really meant to be cherished. Though alone physically, I know God was with me and like what I said earlier, always with me. I took time to reflect on so much that I have and had a moment to genuinely appreciate and thanked the Giver of this Life and the people I have in it.

I recommend everyone to spend one birthday in your life and keeping it on yourself with God. Try it once- It’s cool and worth it. 


God Bless us all!


No comments:

Post a Comment